Shatterproof and compact, this mirror is highly-polished stainless steel with a convenient, integrated lanyard/sighting hole. A mirror can reflect sunlight with life-saving accuracy - further than 10km - to alert potential rescuers - aircraft, vehicle or people on the ground - of your location.
- Size: 8.3 cm x 11 cm
To use a signal mirror:
- Face the sun and place the mirror next to your eye - or peep through the hole and then look toward the sun.
- Stretch your other arm out in front of you. Tilt your head down until you can see the reflection from the mirror on your hand.
- Create a V by spreading apart two fingers (doesn't matter which two). Guide the reflected light between them (keep a small bit of the reflection visible on your fingers so you know where it is shining).
- Place the target (helicopter, vehicle, people) in the 'V'. Angle the mirror so that the reflected light remains in the V, between your open fingers.
- Once the light is shining on your target, flash three times to signal distress by moving the light onto you hand, between the V, onto your hand, between the V etc.
- You may need to angle your body and the mirror to catch the sun, even lying down if necessary.